25 July 2008

Planning for the Future

I have had the nagging thought that we need to establish our preferences for our family in a will or trust or some other planning-for-the-future vehicle. I don't know much about how all of that works (I guess that's what lawyers are for), but the cost to pay a lawyer seems so prohibitive. I did recently read the book "Wear Clean Underwear" (I know, odd title. I guess she was going for the shock-factor...). It was easy to read and opened my eyes to how important it is to establish wills or trusts or medical releases, and especially values and love and memories. I guess it's harder to take the time to sit down and make the difficult decisions than to just let life keep going by. Have any of you out there taken any steps to do these kinds of things? Any suggestions? I am feeling like it's like food storage: essential when needed, but overwhelming to start. I want us to be more prepared for any contingencies.

Thanks in advance for thoughts or advice!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are sites like legalzoom.com that are basically forms to fill out and you pay a small fee for, everything is pre-written and it's all recognized by the law. If you are making changes or updating you can use the codicil form. There's also the medical forms and power of attorney.

Thanks for a good reminder, I keep telling myself I need to do that. Linds

Rachel said...

I was going to say the same thing about websites. They are perfect to just get the basics covered. Especially when you aren't talking millions in assests and accounts. Good luck.