07 July 2008

One Zealy Component

I have a lot to catch up on with posting for the 4th of July, but I thought I would leave this little tidbit first because I have been putting such postings off.

One of the things I am zealous about is breastfeeding. I love the simple beauty of being able to provide a perfect meal for my child without conscious thought. Our relationship from before when the baby was born continues as we have a chance to re-connect frequently throughout the day.

I also strongly support helping mothers breastfeed because it is initially not the easiest option. So many things have to be coordinated, and although the baby has a sucking instinct, that by no means guarantees a successful latch and a positive experience. With my first child I initially had a lot of damage, which was then re-injured with each successive feeding. This went on for three months because I was determined to breastfeed, but thought I was doing it all right because a lactation consultant said the latch was good during the first feeding. I just decided to tough it out. Well, that wasn't really necessary, and by changing just a couple of things, I was able to heal and breastfeeding was incredibly easier. This time around I know what a good latch is like and was able to avoid the intense and drawn-out difficulty I had, and I marvel at the miracle each time we work together to make a good feeding.

I acknowledge that breastfeeding just doesn't work out for some people, but I celebrate every woman who gives it an honest try, as well as those who support those women in their lives. I feel like if we can do a better job of normalizing this appropriate, beautiful, and loving purpose of women's bodies, we can counteract some of the demeaning sexuality that is so prevalent today.

...there will be more zealy-ness to come!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I feel the same way about breastfeeding. That is something I am looking forward to about babyhood.

Katherine said...

Well said dear friend. I love your use of words here! May I share them?

Rachel Holloway said...

There IS something special about nursing...I wish I had been able to do it longer.

zealygirl said...

Share away...isn't that what blogging is about? Thanks for asking.

time-for-a-paws said...

So what was the picture?? on the guess thing?