And another is done. (The Tightwad Gazette II by Amy Dacyzyn)
Though I am not sure I can ever be 'done' being frugal.
Probably my favorite article out of this one is where she discusses how being frugal/tightwaddish/spendthrifty is not purely an economic choice. There are those who are wealthy who are frugal and those who are poor who are not. The choice to be frugal indicates the priorities or goals of the family. Instead of valuing hot-off-the-rack $80 jeans, the family saves most of that money (while still meeting the need of nice jeans) in order to meet other goals (down payment for a house, retirement, superb vacation, or whatever is valued more). This is not to say that those things could never happen with the expensive jeans, but by consciously evaluating values and making goals, the entire family can be on board with helping do what it takes to reach that. It's not a matter of deprivation. It's a matter of choice. I, for one, will probably never do some of the creative things she discusses in the literature, but reading the articles has set my mind in motion for my own creativity.
A couple of specifics, though:
Lentil recipes for Lentil Burgers and Lentil Burritos. She uses a lentil/bulgar wheat combo, and I don't have bulgar wheat, but I plan to pick some up and try them. (page 74)
Degreaser:
1/2 C vinegar
1/2 C Ammonia
1/2 C Wisk
1/2 C Water
Spray on crease or food spots, or dirty collars or cuffs. Wash as usual.
(LHP needs this now; he spilled some greasy stuff on the front of a jacket; I hope it works)
Cheap Sidewalk Chalk:
1 C Plaster of Paris
Almost 1/2 C cool water
Liquid Tempera Paint
Margarine tubs or disposable mixing containers
Disposable molds (manicotti trays work well, or toilet paper tubes covered on one end)
Pour plaster in container. Using a disposable stick, stir in most of the water. Add 2-3 Tablespoons liquid tempera, mixing well. Add a little more water so the mixture thickens. Stir well, and pour into the molds. Remove molds after completely dry.
30 September 2008
Tightwad Gazette II
Labels:
book nook
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
GREAT IDEAS!
Post a Comment