23 September 2008

Anne of Avonlea

I know it was fast; this was a downloaded audiobook, so I didn't even have to go to the library for it. The Internet sure makes some things slick! I really like listening to them because I can do other things, as well.

This reader was terrible compared to the first; Marilla sounded like a redneck and Anne was just whiny. I tried to hear past that, and was able to get through.

I also felt the story line left something to be desired. Most of the mishaps didn't make me laugh or gasp or shake my head like many in the first book. I guess it suffers the same plight as many middle-of-the-series books: the plot didn't really conclude because the big climax is in the next book.

This isn't to say I didn't like it; Anne's goodness and geniality was compelling, and the situations that came up seemed at least possible to encounter in real life. The situations she encountered as a school teacher remain relevant even today. I was always glad to get to the 'GILBERT' parts because, knowing the end from the beginning, that's where the good stuff for Anne is.

Anne of the Island is downloading now, then I'll have to look into getting the movies somewhere...

1 comment:

Monette and Mark said...

I grew up watching Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea. I loved them!! I've never read the books though (even though I own them...)