23 December 2008

Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson (book 2 in the Mistborn trilogy)

Once again, I am highly impressed by the writing of Sanderson. The book was a compelling and intriguing, and I found myself really pulled to finish it in record time. We have been reading and reading, and have not been disappointed.

This book is even more graphic and gorely than the last; I would never be able to watch a movie that was a true representation of the fighting and killing portrayed in the book because it would be horrific. There is a brutal realism to the lives that the characters live: kill or be killed, win or die.

Although I am usually pretty good at predicting plots and twists in books, this one had a couple of doozies. They were unexpected, but still seemed to fit within the possibilities for the characters.

I had wondered how Sanderson would have an entire book left, but the last bit of the book left a very compelling reason. We have the last one on hold at the library. Can I wait that long???

Something I think is really great about Sanderson is that he unabashedly puts plugs for other authors in his books. I think that is very generous and unselfish. Most authors put their own stuff in the back; I feel like Sanderson wants to give people exposure to all of the high-quality books he can.

No comments: