14 December 2008

Musical Sunday

We had our Christmas Program in Sacrament Meeting today, which is something I look forward to every year.

We were able to sing with the choir, and we were also asked to do a special musical number. When this happens our default set up is to have LHP sing and I play the piano. This time we changed it up a little. LHP still sang (he does what he does best), I played my flute, and we had a sister in our ward play the piano. We did 'He Sent His Son' using a compilation of an arrangement I had and the version out of the Children's Songbook.

I haven't played the flute in a VERY, VERY long time, but my trusty fingers still remembered where most of the fingerings were, and my trusty lip muscles didn't give out too quickly. It was a very satisfying song for me because we did a good job, but it wasn't really about us. It was about the message. I am always glad when I can get out of the way and let the Spirit do the real stuff.

Another fun thing that came of it was visiting with a couple of sisters in the ward who also play the flute. There could be some flute musical numbers in the works in the coming weeks...

3 comments:

Monette and Mark said...

How fun to play your flute. It's really been FOREVER since I've touched mine. I don't know if my fingers or lips would be very trusty in remembering what to do. :) I wish we could have heard you guys. I have no doubt that it was beautiful and welcomed the spirit into your meeting.

alma and nicole smith said...

i thought the musical number sounded great...all of them really! we don't have a big choir, but we sure are good :)

DeHaan-Lybbert Familia said...

Can I just say you all did very well. :)