04 August 2008

Toy Organization Quest

I have a new quest... to resolve the problem that I have with the heaping pile of toys on our living room floor. I have tried shelves, a cupboard, bins, and just throwing them in the corner, and nothing has worked.

So, I am on to a new method. My inspiration was the Rubbermaid-like 18 gal storage box on sale a K-Mart this week. I bought two ($4 each), and am now proceeding to sort through all of the toys, weed out the ones JLP never uses, and divide the rest into two piles. Each pile has to fit in one of the containers, or more toys go. My idea is to rotate every week or two between the boxes so there are less than half as many toys to pick up every day, plus there is always an element of novelty in seeing a toy again after a brief hiatus. They have to fit in the tote in a haphazard way so that JLP can help me pick them up and they don't have to be organized.

We'll see how it goes... I guess if it doesn't work I'll have a couple of moving boxes (for whenever that will be)

4 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

gOOD idea! I can't wait to hear how that works for ya!

Katherine said...

What a great idea! Chasing toys is such a chore! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

GustoBones said...

When you makes some toys diaappear for a little while, they are like a brand new toy when you pull them out, but even better because JLP will remember them and be super excited!

Monette and Mark said...

The toy boxes sound like a good solution. I hope it works well for you.