08 August 2008

La Leche League-ness

I just returned from my monthly La Leche League (LLL) meeting. I look forward to going every month, and have attended since I was pregnant with JLP almost 3 years ago. It is technically a breastfeeding support group (which I love), but I also anticipate the time I get to spend with other mothers, most in a situation very similar to my own, and share the ins and outs of life.

Today a first-time mother and LLL attendee who has a week old baby told us that she is having so much pain from breastfeeeding. It was so great to be able to rally around her with the other women there when she is in such a difficult circumstance. So much changes when a woman becomes a mother, and I am so glad to be involved with a group that supports what being a true mother is all about.

In the end, it doesn't really matter if you breastfeed or not, co-sleep or not, start solids right at 6 months or not. It's just so great to be with women who will love you, allow you to share, give advice, and extend the empathy only another mother can give. That's what LLL is about for me.

2 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

That is so cool to have a group to really bond with. I have never been to a meeting, but it would probably be a really cool thing. Thanks for mentioning it!

Katherine said...

Beautifully staked, as always. Have you ever thought about being a leader? You'd be excellent!