Our very first Family of Four Picture:
We came home from the hospital this morning feeling (more) rested and ready for more adventures! Caleb is a very good eater and sleeper, and I feel like my recovery is so much faster so far. All we need to do now is pull out all of the cute baby clothes and have a fashion show (as if I needed an excuse to take more pictures)!
For all of you who care about a few more details: When I woke up Tuesday morning I was having contractions more regularly than ever before, and they felt 'different' than any I had previously had. After breakfast I timed them and they were 8-9 minutes apart. I called the doula-in-training (Katherine Jensen) so she could have a heads up, then tried to keep busy. I really, really hoped it was actual labor, but didn't want to really think too much about it. Katherine arrived and brought her handy snap press (still trying to convince Lucas that getting a snap press for the next baby will be a necessary comfort measure), and we set snaps for a few hours while keeping track of the decreasing length between contractions. In a twist of great luck, Lucas didn't have two of his classes Tuesday, so he worked on some homework and then came home.
We went to the midwife at about 3:30, where I was 4 cm/80% effaced. The contractions weren't unbearable, so we decided to go home and be distracted instead of being 'stuck' in the hospital. At about 5:15 they were much harder, so we packed up and headed the 2 minutes up the hill to the hospital. After being monitored for 20 minutes, we used the jacuzzi, which was superb, and stayed there for a couple of hours. After that I really felt I needed to be able to move with the contractions, and the tub didn't provide enough room, so we used the labor room after that. I made my own labor/delivery outfit (like a binsi outfit) instead of wearing a hospital gown, and I really liked it.
Labor is a very interesting time warp. In some ways it felt like half the time had passed, but I felt like I was doing twice the clock-indicated work. The contractions became very difficult, but just as I was truly fatiguing and not coping as well, we were checked and were ready to push. That knowledge gave me the umph to finish the delivery. We pushed for about a half an hour, and he was here! (That sentence makes it sound easier than it was, believe me!) They let him stay with us, which was great. We ended up moving from the labor/delivery room to the post-partum recovery wing that night (well, early morning by the time we moved). After all the waiting and working, we finally have welcomed him here! Amazing!
Now that my novel is over, here are more pictures (the real reason you came to the blog today, huh?):
The beautiful flowers from Grandpa & Ana, who sent their love from Virginia.
They made the room so bright!

9 comments:
What a beautiful family picture!! Thanks for the details. I've been anxious to hear just how things went. You'll have to tell me about this "snap press" I've never heard of that. The jacuzzi sounds like a "nice" way to deal with labor. About how long was labor overall? I'm so glad things went well and that he's here.
Wow! I love the family picture and the one with the 3 boys. Super dee duper! You guys are such a wonderful example to me.
All I can say is thank you for your blog!! It makes me so homesick for all of you, but I really love every picture and every detail. You are all so very beautiful with so much light and love coming through each of your eyes. What great blessings you are and what great blessings you have received. Tell your mom "Thank you" for all her helping. Can hardly wait to be a part of it. Oh, and I am of the same opinion as Andy...his picture favorites are mine as well! Keep up this great blog. I love every word.
aww....the pictures that include Joshua's attention to Caleb are soo cute. You guys are one good-looking family of 4!
How exciting! Reading about your experience really makes me excited for my #2 (due in November). So far James thinks he's the "baby" we keep talking about:)
Congratulations!
What great pictures. You are quite the woman to go with a completely natural birth. I NEED drugs!!!
YEAH! Thanks for the comment and REMINDING ME about your new blog! I meant to bookmark it earlier and totally forgot!!
Can't wait to keep up on it! CONGRATS on the little guy! I am SO excited for you guys! You looked great--how do you do it?!?! :)
What a B-E-A-utiful family!!! Caleb is such a cute boy. I'm glad you got through this all safely and that you and Caleb are doing fine!
I'm so glad you started a blog. It's so fun keeping up with family this way. Come by ours anytime to visit. thedarrelwebbfamily.blogspot.com Congratulations on your little one.
Post a Comment