28 May 2011

Birthdays

The boys have their birthdays within two weeks of each other, so I decided to do one party for on Friday. We went swimming before the party. The weather was bad, so Monette didn't take her kids, and was kind enough to keep Liza for me. It was very windy, but in the water was fine. It was when we tried to get out and dry off that it was super chilly. We are looking forward to many days at the pool this summer!

We had some unexpected guests arrive in time for the party: Grandma, Daniel, Mohammed (the last weekend we'll see him before he heads back to Yemen), Marleis, & RaAnna. They were heading through to Rexburg, and provided a fabulous surprise for the boys. It's a good thing they came because only Monette & her kids came besides them.

Grandma Nanay gave the boys these goggles that look like insects. They love them, especially since they are taken with the TV show Wild Kratts, where the guys get 'creature power suits,' so these help the boys make-believe that.
The loot. Not a bad haul if you ask me...


I made both of the cakes. Caleb's is a crocodile cake. I have no idea why that was so important, but he insisted on it for weeks. I've never made a crocodile cake, so I made a rice-krispie-like cake, then made some marshmallow fondant. It turned out quite well if I do say so myself. I like the number 3 better, though. The cute polka dots were made with an icing tip (the side you would put in a bag or decorator), and it was perfect.


Joshua insisted on having a flame cake. He got an Optimus Prime on his birthday, so that was his cake topper. Again, I experimented with the frosting, and made a sturdy whipped cream frosting. It was pretty good, but didn't hold the detail in the decorations how I hoped. To get the flames on it, I found a clip art of flames online, printed it, cut out the shape to make a stencil, then used cinnamon to transfer the pattern.



Happy birthday, boys! We love you so much!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Very nice! Cute cakes!!! We must get together soon! :)

GustoBones said...

Happy Birthday to your little guys! Way to go on the cakes!